You are tired, you don’t have an ounce of energy left and your morale is low? Perhaps it’s time to pamper your body, as these visible signs of fatigue could be caused by an accumulation of toxins. What could be better than detoxification to get you off to a good start and regain a little pep?
The big clean your body needs
Yes, your body also deserves a little rest! Saturated by a diet that is often too rich for its needs, worn out by a lifestyle that is too sedentary and stressful, weakened by pollution … Your body is saturated! How can you help it to recover from a sometimes unbalanced lifestyle? Quite simply by stimulating the elimination of the toxins it has accumulated over time! For this, the detox cure, a real classic after the holidays, is ideal! It helps eliminate impurities that stagnate in the body and relieves the organs responsible for evacuating them in normal times (i.e. the kidneys, liver, skin, lungs and intestines). It is essential for gently purifying the body and restoring a good balance of life.
The detox cure: instructions for use
Detox, more than a cure, is a set of healthy gestures, favourable to the body’s well-being, to be combined over a more or less long period (from 2 to 30 days). It is preferable to start with a moderate detox (one week at the most) before embarking on more intense and longer cures. If in doubt, don’t hesitate to consult a health professional, who will help you with the procedure and precautions to take.
Headaches, fatigue… The undesirable effects of detox can be numerous and discouraging. Precisely: they are often a sign that your body is eliminating the toxins that are clogging it up. If these symptoms remain mild and diffuse, there’s no need to worry. If, on the other hand, they intensify, consult a doctor.
So here are some good habits to adopt in order to restart this wonderful machine that is the human body:
1. Rebalance your diet to purify your body.
Eating healthy food that does not contain many toxins is essential to put one’s organs to rest and facilitate the elimination of older residues. So what do we eat? Mainly seasonal fruit and vegetables, at set times, and in reasonable proportions.
No more red meat, fried food, dairy products, sweets, coffee, alcohol and processed foods! Say hello to soups and salads, which will fill you up with vitamins and trace elements! When it comes to meat, opt for white meat or fish. Limit your salt intake as well.
Which foods are detoxifying? The foods you should choose to detoxify your body naturally are
- Lemon: It is the essential ingredient of any good detox! It naturally purifies the body and accelerates the evacuation of toxins. Best ally of the liver, it is to be consumed without moderation to regain a healthy and balanced organism. Try hot water with lemon, to be consumed every morning to give a boost to the digestive system: guaranteed results!
- Wholemeal rice and quinoa: as well as all the other gluten-free cereals, such as buckwheat and millet, which are more dietetic than refined cereals (white pasta and white bread: do not eat them!) Rice is particularly recommended for its high potassium content: perfect for eliminating toxins.
- Garlic: The second star food to adopt for a healthy liver, garlic has many virtues. It is an antimicrobial and a natural antioxidant that helps protect the body from viruses and ageing! Garlic should preferably be eaten fresh and whole to reap all its benefits.
- Beetroot: It provides long-lasting relief for your gall bladder and improves the health of your digestive system. In addition, it eliminates toxins present in the blood.
- Apples: Rich in pectin, a fibre that purifies the digestive system and blood, apples help cleanse and soothe the liver.
Broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower: rich in fibre and vitamin E, an antioxidant necessary for the proper functioning of the liver, these vegetables improve transit while purifying the body!
2. Drink to drain your body
It’s well known: to eliminate, you have to drink again and again! Increasing your water intake will stimulate your kidneys and will greatly help you get rid of toxins present in your body through your urine. If the recommended daily dose is 1.5 litres, it is advisable to increase this daily intake to 2 litres for greater efficiency. You were warned: detox is a real internal cleansing!
Afraid of getting bored? Flavour your water with pure lemon juice, take herbal teas or green tea!
3. Move for the detoxification of the body!
Movement is the quickest and easiest way to activate blood circulation and eliminate toxins through the lungs and perspiration. Stay active for at least thirty minutes a day to purify your body. For a better elimination of toxins, practice a cardio activity twice a week, which will also allow you to burn unwanted fat. Running out of ideas? Here are a few suggestions among the sports that require the most cardio:
- Running: the queen of cardio sports, running has the advantage of being able to be practised anywhere, anytime and according to your own objectives… on a small budget. It is a sport that has the advantage of constantly challenging the heart and the breath, and which improves endurance and physical condition over the long term. If the idea of running for hours puts you off, why not try brisk walking, which has the same virtues?
- Swimming: This sport has the advantage of developing your cardio without attacking your joints as running does. Excellent for building back strength and endurance, swimming is a good option for effectively burning excess calories!
- Boxing: Boxing is a trend that is attracting more and more people. It is one of the most demanding sports in terms of physical condition. It improves the cardio and strengthens the muscles, including the heart.
- Dance: Rhythmic (zumba, rock, merengue, salsa, …), dance is excellent for increasing cardiac resistance and requires good physical condition. It combines the benefits of sport with an aesthetic approach, which makes this discipline an art that has always been practised: a complete sport!
4. Adopt fasting and its virtues
To be practised with caution, light fasting is beneficial for the body, unsuitable to support a rich and constant nutritional intake. Put your digestive system to rest for a short period and you will see all the benefits of fasting: 16 hours without solid food is enough at first! The simplest way is to skip dinner and eat breakfast the next day a little later than usual. You can practise fasting as part of a detoxification of your body, but you can also turn it into a well-being habit: some people practise it once or twice a week.
5. Test juicing, a solution to cleanse your body
Juicing (or the regular consumption of green juices) allows you to fill up with vitamins quickly. If you have an extractor or juicer, you will have the advantage of benefiting from the virtues of these fibre-free juices, which is recommended for frequent consumption. The star ingredients of a detox juice cure are :
– Kale: It contains magnesium, potassium, as well as vitamins C and A. It is excellent for strengthening the immune system! Mix it with a pear and an apple for a successful juice.
– Kiwi fruit: Very rich in vitamin C, it facilitates digestion. Mix your kiwi with a cucumber and a little ginger.
6. Treat yourself to a nice hot bath
As you can see, perspiration eliminates toxins. And what could be better than a hot bath to relax while accelerating perspiration? Take advantage of a winter evening to dive into your bath! For more results, flavour your water with essential oils in the form of a “bath”, they will make this moment of well-being unforgettable.